The potential recipients of the Vickie Belk Scholarship are:
- Qualified graduating seniors of Oakland Baptist Church (OBC).
- Qualified Post-Secondary members of OBC.
- Non Members of OBC — Qualified graduating high school seniors or current Post-Secondary Student.
All scholarship applications and supporting documents are due by April 25, 2021. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Applicants do not need to download the Vickie Belk Scholarship Foundation (VBSF) Application. Please complete it on your computer, tablet or smart phone. You will be able to: complete, upload required documents, print and submit all required information with this online application. A Media Release Form is included in the online application.
Before you begin the application, review the Vickie Belk Scholarship Foundation (VBSF) Packet. The packet is linked in the section below.
Vickie Belk Scholarship Packet
For specific details and guidance regarding the application process, download and review the Vickie-Belk-Scholarship-Packet-2021. VBSF Packet includes:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Criteria & Checklist
- Guidelines for Completing Essay
- Media Release Information
- Evaluation Considerations
After reviewing the packet, assemble the following documents on your computer: 1). your photo (head shot); 2). your transcript; 3). letter of recommendation; and 4). your completed essay. You will need to upload these items in Section IX — The Upload Section of the online application.
Complete & Submit
Complete the online application, upload all requested documents, and submit (by clicking the submit button) the application according to directions.
After Your Submission
After you have submitted your application, the VBSF Scholarship Team will evaluate the submission using the criteria below.
The items below are used to evaluate applicants.
- Ability to Follow Directions — Supply background and requested information according to directions
- Involvement in VBSF or Oakland Baptist Church Activities
- Education Background/Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Honors & Awards
- Community Service and/or Employment History
- Photograph Submission (Head Shot View)
- Transcript Submission
- Letter of Recommendation
- Signed Media Release (Included in Online Application).
- Essay (Completed According to Directions in Scholarship Application Packet)
When Are Applicants Notified Regarding the Scholarship?
Applicants are notified by email, phone or mail before the Annual End-of-the Year Award Ceremony in June or another designated time regarding the scholarship award. The VBSF Chair will inform you of the specific date. All recipients are expected to attend the Award Ceremony.
After the Ceremony — The Award
Scholarship awards are not given directly to students, but to the university or college where they have been accepted. After enrolling at the university or college of your choice and receiving an acceptance letter, you should:
- submit a copy of the award letter that is given to you from the Vickie Belk Scholarship Foundation to the Registrar;
- request a verification of enrollment notice from the college or university that you are enrolled;
- mail that verification notice that is received to the Vickie Belk Scholarship Foundation — Attention: Aprile Belk — 3408 King Street — Alexandria, VA 223102.
When official proof of your full-time enrollment is received, a check will be forwarded to the business office of that institution and it will be applied to your account. We wish you well.